Saturday, March 29, 2014

Overcomers School and a New Pet

Dusting off the blog today for a post about some happenings in the Weber family :-).

1. The Overcomers School: A few months ago I was chatting with a friend about our adjustment to life here in Uganda. While Mark is out in the community working and building relationships, I was noting how, in many ways, what I do here on a day to day basis is very similar to what I would do in America on a day to day basis, just with a few added twists and turns. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. It is good in that it has provided some needed structure and security for us, especially for the kids. But, I have discovered that it can also be bad, in that, when I'm having a hard day, I have found myself wanting to retreat to America, with its orderliness and convenience and familiarity and loved ones...you get the idea. I haven't had much that has emotionally tied me to this place, and made me want to be here.

This friend (another homeschooling mama) was encouraging me to pray about something that I could get involved in here in the community. Not necessarily something that would take loads of time and take me away from my family all day, but something small that would tie me to this place and the people here in a deeper way.

I'm so thankful to share that the Lord has provided such a thing: the Overcomers School.


The Overcomers School was started by an amazing Ugandan single mom, Miriam, who works at Cure Children's Hospital here in Mbale. Cure provides surgery for children with hydrocephalus, spina bifida, and other neurological issues. As the children who had had surgery at Cure grew up, Miriam became aware of a problem. Even though these children were bright students, schools here in Uganda would not admit them because they have incontinence and bowel issues. These lovely children were sitting at home with no opportunity for an education. Although she felt totally unqualified, she obeyed the Lord's call, and began a school in her home for these kids. The school rapidly outgrew her home, and now occupies an entire house. It is a boarding school, so the children live here during the term, receiving the care they need along with an education. There are currently 12 enrolled students. Many more want to come, but there isn't any space to take more.


One problem the school faces is a lack of funds. Many of these children come from large families where money is very tight. In light of their disabilities, these children are frequently the last in their family to have school fees paid. So far this term, only three students have paid their tuition, but Miriam will not turn them away. At times, she is forced to use her own money in order to pay the teachers.

Miriam has graciously allowed me to come and teach at the school Monday mornings. My boys and I also go along to physical therapy with the students on Thursday afternoons. It has been such an encouragement to me, and I look forward to going every week. These kids have every reason to be depressed and discouraged, yet they radiate joy and love. Hearing them sing, "My God is Able" makes me happy for a whole week, and really puts my attitude in proper perspective.

Here are some pics from the school. More to come, I'm sure.




2. Our new pet monkey, Samantha: I think that on some level, ever since moving to Uganda, our kids have dreamed of having a pet monkey. I never thought it would actually happen, but on Sunday, a friend showed up at our house with a monkey that she had brought from her village to give to us. The boys named her Samantha. She is still a little shy with us, so we are currently keeping her in the chicken coop. We are working to get her more comfortable with us, (and get her some shots), maybe then we can have her roam more freely. She is a vervet monkey.


Somehow, a preschool teacher found out we had a monkey and brought her class to our house for a field trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment